Have you ever experienced sunburn? Well, I have had sunburned on numerous occasions while on holiday in sunny beach spots around my area. I know that even people in the Arctic get sunburned. It’s all about the UV not only the sun rays. Even welding arcs can cause sunburn. Anyways, below are 7 simple steps to take after getting a sunburn.
- Sunburns can sometimes cause swelling. Swelling of the face and neck can sometimes cause breathing difficulties. Solution? Go see a doctor.
- Burns that completely circle the hands or feet may cause such severe swelling that blood flow is restricted. If swollen or tight hands and feet become numb and tingly, blue, cold, or “fall asleep,” go see a doctor.
- Stay in shaded areas. Stay indoors during the day. Going under the sun won’t make things better. The stinging sensation will only worsen by more UV rays.
- Take lots of cold showers. The cool temperature of the water on the skin will relieve the sting. Use air conditioning. Turn up the fan. Sprinkle water droplets on the skin to keep it cool.
- Aloe Vera is the NO.1 recommended natural cooling agent for sunburns. Aloe Vera gel can usually be bought at the local drugstore or pharmacy. If you have planted some at home, break it and use it. The effect is much better. If you have not planted any, do so. My mom has 2 pots of Aloe Vera in our backyard. Why is it important? Because Aloe Vera will ease and reduce any kind of pain or inflammation.
- Blistering is bad. The dead skin will double the risk of malignant melanoma (a type of tumor). If the affected area is the entire arm or stomach, you gotta get help. Seek a doctor immediately.
- Wear a singlet. Anything silky or loose will also do fine. Allow room for the healing spots to ‘breathe’.
Sore throat. When I get it, running nose usually appears together. If it is not taken care of soon enough, fever breaks. Most sore throats are caused by viral infections but bacterial infections exist too. Throat irritation may also rise from pollution or chemical substances.
Here are a list of 8 food that should be taken for it’s natural effect on sore throats.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Kills bacteria on contact. Mix it as strong as you can stand it. Gargle one mouthful every hour, swallowing afterward. Repeat twice each time. This treatment can cure a streptococcic sore throat in 24 hours. The acid is very helpful in soothing and minimizing the sore throat and if you swallow it, the extra potassium is also beneficial. Rinse your mouth thoroughly after using this to prevent enamel erosion.
Ginger contains natural anti-inflammatory agents that can speed the healing of a sore throat.
Honey has been used to treat sore throats a long time ago due to it’s antiseptic properties.
- Lemon / Lime
Both works fine on sore throats. The raw juice destroys the bacteria but the high acidic content may add irritation to the affected throat tissues.
One teaspoon of coarsely powdered cinnamon, boiled in a glass of water with a pinch of pepper powder, and two teaspoons of honey can be taken as a medicine in the treatment of this condition.
- Cayenne Pepper
Gargle with cayenne pepper and water mixture of 2 tsp. of cayenne to a glass of water. Numbs and relieves really bad sore throats. This remedy works when antibiotics do not and is excellent for those weird sore throats that don’t seem to go away after 4 weeks.
This herb is antiviral and antibacterial, speeds healing, and boosts the immune system. Early documentations in the mid 1800s to early 1900s showed echinacea’s use as one of the antimicrobial herbs for snakebite and anthrax.
A common herb found in the kitchen which has vitamin C and volatile oils in it, such as mustard oil, which is antibiotic in nature. It’s properties are useful not only against sore throats but also upper respiratory tract infections, reducing fever and significantly eliminating mucus.
Fermentation is the process of converting carbohydrates into alcohol using yeast under oxygen-less conditions. Wine is what happens when unmodified grape juice is fermented. The red in wine is formed when grape skin is included during the fermentation process. White wine can be made from any type of grape as the skin is separated.
Recent studies have shown that drinking a glass of red wine daily is beneficial to health. Moderate consumption will help protect against cancer, heart diseases, improve cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Moderate in US means 1 glass for women, 2 glasses for men. On the other hand, UK and EU defines moderation as 3 glasses for women and 4 glasses for men.
The French seemed to know a little more about the secrets behind red wine. In a study that compared French and German wines, the French ones delivered higher results as their wine contained much more antioxidants. This holds true for the ‘French Paradox’. It refers to the lower incidence of coronary heart disease in France than in the USA despite high levels of saturated fat in the traditional French diet. Proof is inconclusive as there is a vast difference in diets.
Actually the 2 main components responsible for the red wine’s healing powers are the antioxidant and resveratrol. Red wines contain the type of antioxidants that protects and prevents diseases while resveratrol is a chemical that exerts a range of both cardioprotective as well as chemoprotective mechanisms. Resveratrol is produced naturally by grape skins in response to fungal infection, which includes exposure to yeast during fermentation. As white wine has minimal contact with grape skins during this process, it generally contains lower levels of resveratrol. Other beneficial compounds include polyphenols and flavonoids.
Excessive drinking doesn’t yield any health benefit. Excessive consumption of alcohol including wine can cause some diseases including cirrhosis of the liver and alcoholism. The key to reaping the health benefits of red wine is moderation. A glass or 2 is already enough to decrease the risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke.