- If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning first before you will die of oxygen deprivation.
- If you go blind in one eye, you’ll only lose about one-fifth of your vision (but all your depth perception).
- In a lifetime the average US resident eats more than 50 tons of food and drinks more than 13,000 gallons of liquid.(American human body facts 🇺🇸)
- In the late 19th century, millions of human mummies were used as fuel for locomotives in Egypt where wood and coal was scarce, but mummies were plentiful.
- It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown. (Human body facts encouraging you to smile more 😀)
- Jaw muscles can provide about 200 pounds of force to bring the back teeth together for chewing. Which brings us to the next human body fact which is..
- You could bite through your finger as easily as a carrot but your brain stops you.
- Lab tests can detect traces of alcohol in urine six to 12 hours after a person has stopped drinking. (Human body facts reminding you to stick to your limits)
- Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day. (Human body facts reminding you to watch more comedies 🤣)
- Most men have erections every hour to hour and a half during sleep.
- On average women say 7,000 words per day. Men manage just over 2,000. (Human body facts reminding you that it is natural for the other gender to be that way 🙂)
- One in every 2000 babies is born with a tooth.
- Pregnancy in humans lasts on average about 270 days (from conception to birth).
- The ashes of the average cremated person weigh nine pounds.
- The average duration of sexual intercourse for humans is 7.3 minutes. (Another human body fact reminding you to accept nature as it is 🙂)
- The average human body contains enough: iron to make a 3 inch nail, sulfur to kill all fleas on an average dog, carbon to make 900 pencils, potassium to fire a toy cannon, phosphorous to make 2,200 match heads, and water to fill a ten-gallon tank.
- The average human produces 25,000 quarts of spit in a lifetime, enough to fill two swimming pools.
- The average person releases nearly a pint of intestinal gas by flatulence every day. Most is due to swallowed air. The rest is from fermentation of undigested food. (Another human body fact reminding you that it’s just natural 🙂)
- The human body has enough fat to produce 7 bars of soap.
- The human body has over 600 muscles, 40% of the body’s weight.
- The human brain is about 85% water. (This human body fact is the reason why hangovers occur. Dehydration.)
- The largest cell in the human body is the female ovum, or egg cell. It is about 1/180 inch in diameter.
- The smallest cell in the human body is the male sperm. It takes about 175,000 sperm cells to weigh as much as a single egg cell.
- The largest human organ is the skin, with a surface area of about 25 square feet.
- The left lung is smaller than the right lung to make room for the heart.
- The little lump of flesh just forward of your ear canal, right next to your temple, is called a tragus.
- The longest muscle in the human body is the sartorius. This narrow muscle of the thigh passes obliquely across the front of the thigh and helps rotate the leg to the position assumed in sitting cross-legged. Its name is a derivation of the adjective “sartorial,” a reference to what was the traditional cross-legged position of tailors (or “sartors”) at work.
- The most common blood type in the world is Type O. The rarest, Type A-H, has been found in less than a dozen people since the type was discovered.
- The Neanderthal’s brain was bigger than yours is. (Human body facts reinforcing the quote, “Bigger is not necessarily better”)
- The only bone in the human body not connected to another is the hyoid, a V-shaped bone located at the base of the tongue between the mandible and the voice box. Its function is to support the tongue and its muscles.
- The only time the human population declined was in the years following 1347, the start of the epidemic of the plague ‘Black Death’ in Europe.
- The permanent teeth that erupt to replace their primary predecessors (baby teeth) are called succedaneous teeth.
- The sound of a snore (up to 69 decibels) can be almost as loud as the noise of a pneumatic drill.
- The stratum lucidum is a thin, clear layer of dead skin cells found only on the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet.
- There are 45 miles of nerves in the skin of a human being.
- There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body.
- There are four main blood types: A, B, AB and O and each blood type is either Rh positive or negative.
Blood types in the US:
O positive ~ 38.4%
O negative ~ 7.7%
A positive ~ 32.3%
A negative ~ 6.5%
B positive ~ 9.4%
B negative ~ 1.7%
AB positive ~ 3.2%
AB negative ~ 0.7%
- Three-hundred-million cells die in the human body every minute.
- Women burn fat more slowly than men, by a rate of about 50 calories a day.
- Women’s hearts beat faster than men’s.